Thursday, February 4, 2010

Magical Feminism

Lally Katz Biog
In 2002, I began a postgraduate diploma at the University of Melbourne, hypothesising that there was a way that young artists were engaging with feminism, which embraced the freedoms born of the more hard line political change brought about by the sisters of the previous generations, yet yielded to a femininity and anti-realism.

In other words, the system, reality, had been changed to the extent that the young feminists could imagne and reinvent a way towards a feminine utopia (Jill Dolan's use of the term here), which I theorised engaged many of the same tropes as magical realism. I called it magical feminism. Lally Katz, was and still is, to my mind, a stunning example of this.

I continued onto my PhD in 2003, and gave away the term, but not before having one or two articles published. These are the early days of my academic career, but I include this article below as much for what it says about Katz, a playwright I am still greatly enamoured of to this day. For more on Lally Katz, who was then an emerging playwright, and is now well and truly established, see the links.

Interview with Katz by Margaret Throsby

Magical Feminism and Lally Katz
Link to the full journal article for Double Dialogues below.

No comments:

Post a Comment